What do you imagine when hear a word ‘souffle’? An airy and sweet apple souffle or may be a fluffy and cheesy one?
The word soufflé comes form French verb souffler, that means ‘puff up’ or ‘to blow up’. The base of any souffle is beaten egg whites, which provide the lift: a souffle puffs up in the oven.
This tender and light dish is a perfect meal for weight watchers and health enthusiasts! Protein food is an important part of any well-balanced diet, it’s also good for growth and development in children and pregnant women; thus why don’t you make fish souffle to vary your diet. Some children refuse to eat fish and fish souffle is a great meal to feed a peevish child. It’s may be not a gourmet dish but it’s certainly light and tasty. Moreover, it’s one the most easy ways to prepare fish, if you don’t want to hang around the kitchen for hours.
Fish soufflé. Russian recipe.
You can add 1-2 tsp chopped fresh dill or some grated cheese to the fish mixture before baking.
You could also make this recipe with some leftover cooked fish.
Serve with boiled/roasted potatoes or/and green salad.
300g white fish fillet
1 slice white bread
1 tbsp milk, warm (full fat milk or cream)
1 tsp butter, soft
2 egg yolks
2 egg whites
salt, pepper to taste
butter, bread crumbs, for greasing
1-2 tbsp grated cheese, optional
sour cream, chopped dill, for garnish
- In a small bowl, add bread and warm milk, soak for 2-3 minutes.
- Check that no bones remain in fish. Cut fish fillet into small cubes, mince in a blender until very fine pieces. Add bread, butter and egg yolks, season to taste, bit the mixture to combine.
- In a big bowl, beat egg whites with a pinch of salt until firm peaks.
- Carefully fold 1/2 egg whites into the fish mixture. Add the rest egg whites and fold in.
- Grease two baking tins with butter, sprinkle with bread crumbs. Divide the fish mixture between tins. Sprinkle with cheese, if desired. Bake in preheated 180C oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden and puffed.
- Sprinkle with dill, serve immediately with sour cream and your choice of side dish.