Today is ‘Forgiveness Sunday’, the last day of the ‘pancake festival’ (Butterweek) in Russia.
According to one old tradition, the more pancakes have been eaten during the Butterweek, the more successful will be the year.
As per another custom, a girl at the twilight, should took a pancake, went out and asked the first stranger his name. It was believed, that man’s name and look is similar to the future husband’s appearance. In case if the girl didn’t like the name ‘n’ look, she had to give a pancake to the guy. If she liked it, she had to eat a pancake herself. 🙂
There are lots of pancakes varieties, with savoury or fruit fillings. Mine 3 favourites: with cottage cheese, sweet condensed milk and salmon 🙂
Making pancakes could be really exciting and interesting, you can involve the whole family, invite friends and enjoy the holiday.
You can surprise your family by preparing this delicious pancake pie!
What’s more, I decided to participate in Fiesta Friday, organized by Angie from TheNoviceGardener. I’m happy to be involved in such virtual parties and get new friends. 🙂
The basic Russian pancakes recipe
650ml full fat milk
50ml warm water
250g all-purpose flour
a good pinch of salt
2 tbsp of sugar
2 tbsp of sunflower oil
1/3 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp of lemon juice or vinegar
- Break the eggs into large bowl, add salt and sugar, whisk.
- Add the oil and milk, whisk again.
- Sift the flour into the bowl, whisk thoroughly.
- Add warm water and whisk to incorporate any lumps.
- Pour lemon juice or vinegar into a spoon with baking soda on it (to dissolve the soda), quickly add it into the batter and whisk a couple of times.
- While the mixture is resting (it allows the ingredients to blend together better), heat the pan; grease the pan with some oil, if needed.
- Evenly coat the pan with the batter. Cook about a minute, then flip the pancake and cook for 15-30 seconds more.
- Keep prepared pancakes in warm place.
You can already enjoy the tastiest pancakes, dipping them into a raspberry preserve or hazelnut sauce, or prepare the pancake pie with salmon. It could be wonderful lunch or dinner for the weekend.
Pancake pie with salmon and cream cheese
200g salted or smoked salmon, always better homemade (find the recipe here)
120-150g cream cheese
2tbsp sour cream (substitute with crème fraîche, or single/double cream)
4-5 tbsp finely chopped dill
I used red caviare for the decoration, you can do it with salmon or just keep the top as is.
- Blend the cream cheese with sour cream until smooth.
- Cut the salmon into small cubes.
- Arrange the first pancake on a plate, spread the cheese mixture and sprinkle with dill.
- Cover with the second one. Spread some salmon on the pancake.
- Cover with the third pancake.
- Repeat all steps.
Have a lovely pancake time! 🙂