When I saw a cauliflower couscous recipe for a first time in a food magazine I didn’t pay much attention to it and dismissed it, and made another pan of creamy cauli soup. 🙂 But when I stumbled upon similar recipes again and again, I decided to give it a chance.
I red few recipes to know how to make a cauliflower couscous: the main thing is to pulse cauliflower florets in a food processor to get tiny bits, which reminds couscous grains and then you can mix it up with any your favourite ingredients. Thus, I came up with my own recipe. Even thou, I topped cauli couscous with shrimps, you may omit it and keep totally vegetarian. Whatever you choose, this dish is full of flavour! It’s a good alternative for a regular couscous, and especially for people with gluten sensitivity. Such couscous pairs well with roasted chicken or barbecued meat as well.
And you know what, now it’s my fav way to prepare cauliflower! When I served it for a dinner my husband couldn’t guess what was that – whether pasta or couscous, but he liked it. Because it tasted divine: buttery and aromatic! 🙂
Cauliflower couscous with shrimps
You can also try to add: chopped walnuts or pistachios, raisins, goji berries, chickpeas..
baby onion 5-7, sliced
1 garlic clove, chopped, optinal
olive oil 1 tbsp+ butter 1 tbsp, for frying
lemon juice 1 tbsp
sea salt, black&white pepper to taste
chopped mint 1 tbsp
chopped parsley 1 tbsp
olives 6-7, stoned
extra virgin olive oil, for dressing
roasted slivered or flaked almonds 2 tbsp
medium shrimps 10 (or more if shrimps are small), cleaned
lemon juice 2 tbsp
1/3-1/2 tsp chilli flakes, optional
1 tsp sweet paprika
freshly ground sea salt and white pepper to taste
olive oil 2 tbsp, for frying
- Mix up all ingredients for shrimps marinade. Put shrimps in a bowl, pour over marinade. Cover with plastic wrap and keep in a fridge at least for 1 hour.
- Wash and roughly cut cauliflower. Using a food processor, blitz cauliflower until breadcrumbs/couscous size.
- In a frying pan, heat oil and butter. Add whole baby onions and fry over medium heat until golden. Add cauliflower and garlic if using, fry for 10-15 minutes or until cauliflower is ready. Add lemon juice and season to taste. Stir in chopped herbs and olives.
- In a separate pan heat oil and fry shrimps for 2-3 minutes on each side over medium-high heat.
- Arrange cauliflower couscous on a large serving plate. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with almonds. Top with shrimps.