Quail may be tiny birds but they pack a real flavor punch. Perfect for Valentine’s Day meal.
There’s something adorable about presenting your Valentine with their own whole bird. The easiest way (and messy) to eat a small quails is with your fingers 🙂 or you can carve it as turkey.
Serve one quail per person as a starter or two as a main course.
4 whole quails
4 medium potatoes
2 medium onions
1 small bunch thyme
6-8 juniper berries
2 tbsp runny honey
2+2 tbsp olive oil
- If you’ve got frozen quail, defrost it overnight in the refrigerator.
- Take the quail out of the fridge 1 hour before cooking. Wipe the outside of the bird and inside the cavity, using kitchen paper.
- Season inside with salt&pepper, put in sprig of thyme and one juniper berry. Tie the legs together with string (optionally).
- Season birds with salt&pepper and thyme, brush with honey and 2 tbsp olive oil.
- Preheat oven to 200C. Put thinly sliced potatoes, carrots, onions, thyme and juniper berries into a roasting tin. Sprinkle with salt&pepper, drizzle with olive oil. Cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Sit the quail on top and roast for 25 minutes more.