The summer is over in some countries, and autumn’s come. Hope you enjoy it! If only it could be here for a day..
It was usual hot summer day, when ‘why not to make a nice cake with strawberries’ idea came into my mind. I went for the widely known sponge cake, which in Russia is often called biscuit cake. In the US it’s known as pound cake, while in the UK as Victoria cake. Pretty simple to make, could be layered with various berries and feelings.
I soaked sponges with cherry brandy to pep it up. 😉
Ingredients for 20 cm/8 inch round pan:
200 g self-raising flour
3 large eggs
160 g butter, melted
100/150 g granulated sugar*
1 tbsp lemon or orange zest (optionally)
1 vanilla pod or 1 tsp vanilla extract (optionally)
a pinch of salt
For cream filling:
200 ml whipped cream
80/100 gr caster sugar*
For brandy syrup:
6 tbsp water
2 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp brandy**
300-400 g strawberries***
2 tbsp icing sugar
- Heat oven to 160C (350F). Butter and flour a cake pan.
- Whisk together eggs and sugar until light cream texture. Add melted butter, salt, lemon zest, vanilla extract and beat in.
- Sift the flour over bowl and gently start to fold in.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until top of cake is golden.
- Meanwhile, prepare brandy syrup. Combine sugar and water in a saucepan, simmer until sugar is dissolved. Remove from a heat and stir in brandy.
- Remove the cake from oven, cool in a pan for 10 minutes. Take cake out of pan and put onto a wire rack and let it cool completely.
- While cake is cooling, cut strawberries into medium-thin slices. Sprinkle with icing sugar.
- Whisk whipped cream and sugar together (for 4-5 minutes).
- Time to assemble our cake. With long knife cut cake horizontally into 2 layers. Brush each layer with brandy syrup. Spread 2/3 of strawberries over one layer, then half of whipped cream. Cover with another sponge. Spread whipped cream over it, top with remaining strawberries.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
Serve with tea and enjoy!
*In every day life I consume very small amounts of sugar. In all recipes I put it roughly. But you can increase amount as much as you like it.
**Substitute brandy with cognac/rum or non-alco liquor.
*** Substitute fresh strawberries with preserved.